Every summer, around 50-60 students and staff volunteers from across the seven Wallace Group universities join forces with colleagues at Sport in Action to deliver sustainable sport for young people in some of Zambia’s poorest communities.
We do this primarily through the network of Community Hub Sites and offer roles focussing on enhancing sport specific developments that will provide opportunities for Zambian young people to develop as players, coaches, and leaders.
We are focussed on ensuring what we do is sustainable year round within those communities and that they provide support to encourage and empower women and girls.
The student project runs from June-October and based in Zambia’s capital city Lusaka. The students are split into three groups, with each group spending 6 weeks on placement at the various hub sites around the capital.
The Volunteer Zambia project encourages young people to build their own understanding of world events; develop their values; take learnings into the real world; challenge ignorance and intolerance; get involved in their local, national, and global communities
Each university recruits 6 students to undertake the voluntary role of ‘Student Sport Development Officer’ in one of the following areas:
- Netball Development Officer
- Basketball Development Officer
- Football Development Officer
- Women’s Football Development Officer
- Media, Marketing & Communications Officer
Student roles are aligned to those operating within the hub sites (as outlined in the Community Sport Hub tool kit), with volunteers now recruited to provide support to the leadership positions and volunteers running the hub sites, helping to build capacity and ensure each hub site remains sustainable.
We place the student at the heart of the project creating life changing, safe experiences that leave a legacy in country.
Student Sport Development Officers
Within each group, students are placed at one or more of the various hub sites located around Lusaka:
- John Howard
- Kaunda Square
- Hellen Kaunda
In-country roles are assigned based on the needs of the hub sites and levels of experience, but could include:
- assisting hub site coordinators to deliver sport sessions and activities
- mentoring hub site coordinators
- passing on knowledge and experience with regards to sporting skills and session delivery
- supporting SIA coaches to upskill hub site leaders in the areas of planning, evaluating and progression of session delivery
- working with other student volunteers to coordinate cross SIA activities
e.g., workshops, training and development, leagues, tournaments, events
- conducting outreach work such as taster sessions to engage new participants, or a new demographic into activity at the hub sites
- developing new activities within hub sites, including games, practice ideas and the empowerment of the young leaders in their delivery
- assisting SIA and the Project Manager with the wider development of their sport
Media, Marketing & Communications Officers
Each year three students are recruited to take on the role of Media, Marketing & Communications Officer within each group of the Volunteer Zambia project.
Day to day life on Volunteer Zambia
Your daily efforts will result in small, but life changing impacts. You will travel to and from your allocated placements to develop and up skill local Zambian community leaders. You will do this for the duration of your six weeks in Zambia, making immense impact, and developing tight friendships with those you are working with.
In Zambia, no day is the same, which is what makes it so special. However, your daily goal is to develop the coordinators, leaders, and coaches at the various hub-sites, who are working tirelessly to better their communities and the children that reside there.
You will support their learning as sport coaches, coordination as sport facilitators, and leadership as mentors to the many young children that depend on them
Join a growing international community, on a once in a lifetime opportunity. Help run and coordinate sports development practises across Lusaka, Zambia, and see the difference you make for yourself. Work alongside the largest Sports NGO in Zambia and an ever-growing number of industry leaders between Africa and the UK.